Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It's the End of the World!


Back in 1987 pop band R.E.M. sang a song called, It’s the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine).  It’s a catchy song with fast moving lyrics and it touches on the question that many ask at some point or another; “When will this world end?” 

In our Gospel lesson this past Sunday, Mark 13:24-37, Jesus spoke of the End.  This was in response to a question asked by the disciples back in v. 4 in regard to Jesus’ prediction of the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem.  That destruction took place in 70 A.D.  The final end is yet to come. 

It is said that Martin Luther was once asked, “What would you do if you knew Christ was returning tomorrow?”  His response was, “I would plant an apple tree.” 

I don’t know if Luther actually said that, but there is wisdom in that statement that goes nicely with Jesus’ comments regarding the end.  Jesus said that no one know when the end will be.  We are to pay attention – “keep our heads in the game” – and be about the work God has given us to do. 

Every day is lived in anticipation of the End when Jesus will return.  We must not be lulled to sleep by the comforts and pleasures of this world, and thereby lose sight of God’s calling on our lives. 

We are God’s witnesses in this world, displaying what it means to be forgiven, redeemed, and loved.  God gives us this privilege in each of our vocations – our “life callings.”  I get to do this as a pastor; preaching and teaching.  Some of you get to do this as teachers, others as lawyers, some as laborers, many as moms or dads, wives or husbands. 

Luther’s supposed statement, “I would plant an apple tree,” says nothing more than, “I would live my life as God has called me.”  We live in the confidence of God’s grace through the cross and empty tomb, so the Last Day is as any other day. 

When I was a little boy, my parents taught me to pray, “Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.  If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.”  Whether we lay down or get up, if we live or die, on the First Day or the Last Day our confidence and meaning for life is the same:  “Jesus died and rose for me.”  And that is how we live. 

Questions to Ponder
-          Jesus speaks of the darkening of the skies in Mark 13:25, but in v. 26 he speaks of something that will be seen despite the darkness.  What is it?
-          What lesson does Jesus want us to learn from the fig tree?
-          Why is it important to know that, although we might not know when, we do know that Jesus will come again in light of vv.32-27?  How is this a statement of God’s Law?  How is it a reminder of the Gospel?
-          How do you feel about the End?  What emotions, questions, or images come to your mind?
-          I argue that the word translated, “Watch!” in the NIV has a fuller meaning of seeing what’s going on around you and that Jesus is urging us here to, “Keep your head in the game.”  What distracts you from God’s love and word?  How do reading the Bible, praying, and going to church services help keep our heads in the game?
-          Verse 31 says, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.”  How can knowing that God’s Word will never pass away give you confidence to live the faith in this life?

No comments:

Post a Comment